Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Pesto presto!

My favorite pasta topping is probably pesto. I make mine with fresh basil from my mom's garden!

Basic Basil Pesto (my own recipe)

This is always a favorite in my family, and easy to make.

1 cup packed fresh basil
¼ cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
2 large cloves of garlic
½ cup olive oil (or more, depending on how much moisture is wanted)
½-¾ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Coarsely chop all ingredients in a food processor. Add salt to taste- unless you use a salty cheese. Toss with favorite cooked pasta.

I like to toast the garlic along with the pine nuts. It makes the garlic flavor a little less intense.

I also add a couple of tablespoons of cream to the pasta as I toss it with the pesto, which gives it a creamier texture. My favorite pasta to use is penne. The pesto sticks to it well, so every bite is full of the sauce.

No comments: