Saturday, April 18, 2009

Leftover lamb!

Easter dinner with lamb and ham means great leftovers. I used up a leg of lamb by making pita sandwiches with Tzatziki sauce. I made up my recipe on the spot, but it's pretty basic (everyone has a similar recipe):

One cup of Greek yogurt (ordinary plain yogurt will do in a pinch)
1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeds removed, chopped, excess liquid squeezed out
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped mint (traditional, but I use basil if I'm out of mint)
Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together and serve cold. Drizzle on lamb or falafel in pita sandwiches. Yum!

I sliced up the lamb and pan fried it in a bit of olive oil, salt, and lemon juice. When cooked this way and served with the tzatziki in a pita, it tasted just like the gyros from any good Greek/Mediterranean restaurant.

Of course, I made spanakopita this year like always, and as usual, they didn't last long!

This year, I didn't do anything special with the leftover ham. I just fried slices of it and served it with scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast.

No comments: